Tuesday, March 31, 2009

On my mind today....

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
-Marjorie Hinckley
I've been reading President Gordon B. Hinkley's biography lately and it has really touched me how much he and his wife commited their life to service and to moving the work of the Lord forward. They are truely inspirational people. I can't imagine I'll leave the world having influenced it even a fraction of the amount these good people have, but I sure could try a lot harder. They had an awesome grasp on the important things in life and I would love to have that same dedication and focus to my family(and ward family) and the other things in my life that REALLY matter.

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

You don't know me. Kyle does. But I follow your blog and I absolutely love this post. It's so true. I admire Sis. Hinckley so much. I can only hope and pray and try to be half the woman, wife, mother that she was. I so need to get a copy of his biography too. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Mamma Betts said...

That was beautiful! We could all stand to learn something from that.
Congrats on your pregnancy I had no idea until i read your blog. im always so pre-ocupied when i see you at church. Speaking of church...how did the invites go? were there enough? Let me know. BettsFamily2004@Q.com
Kim Betts

CandraWynne said...

I LOVE THIS QUOTE!!! I keep it on my fridge and read it when I get frusterated with life's events. Hope you're doing well :)

Heather said...

great quote! thanks for sharing it with us. I can definatly learn to be like that. Have you found out yet what your having? I am so excited for you guys!!!!

zippy said...

Wow, what a great quote! I am going to print that one out and put it where I can see it often. Thanksf for sharing. : )